Beadle for Manager?

HomeForumsHereford FC ChatBeadle for Manager?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  nailswortholdbull 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    TME admin
    TME admin
    Keymaster
    • Posts 205

It is an interesting question.

Let us dare to look forward to the summer/next season. Is Beadle the right man, or are we clutching at straws just because he kept us up.

The next appointment is critical, especially if – when – funds are tight.

Does he have the contacts to produce a squad capable of competing? i.e. the experience alongside the youth.

For my money I like Beadle’s style, but I am not 100% sure we shouldn’t look elsewhere to see what is available and wanting the job.

nailswortholdbull
    Participant
    • Posts 247

I come at this with all sorts of reservations, especially as I was one of those insisting that Jamie Pitman got the job permanently, after he kept us up following SD’s diabolical start to DK’s 1st season in charge.
    I’m no football expert, nor do I pretend to be, but I do understand motivation, and it’s a great skill to have, and Peter Beadle has got it, in spades. He’s shown it with the Yoof, and he showed it again, with the 1st team, in the closing weeks of the season. AND, let’s not forget, he wasn’t just trying to lift spirits because of lack of confidence ON the pitch, but having to deal with being undermined by those above him OFF the pitch.
    In short, He has a rare talent. That, linked to his previous experience at Newport County, is more than enough to deal with what he will face here next year, AS LONG AS the board deliver a workable, SUSTAINABLE, budget for him.
    If they mess him about, or if he feels undervalued, after what he’s been through with us so far, will he want to stick around……..?

TME admin
    TME admin
    Keymaster
    • Posts 205

First job for new boss, sign Paul Parry. Released by Shrews today.

We can but dream!

More chance of Paul Potts. At least he could sing before games.

London Bull
    London Bull
    Participant
    • Posts 662

It’s going to sound like I’m sitting on the fence but I agree with both of you. There can be comparisons to the initial success Pitman had but Beadle has more experience and arguably had a more difficult job to do. However, it would be foolish not to look at potential applicants in case there really is a gem out there prepared to undertake the challenge. Heart says Beadle and head says welcome applications alongside considering Beadle.

enforcerbull
    enforcerbull
    Participant
    • Posts 160

I say, has it is now
    Beadle has manager with somebody overlooking/helping him whether it’s Addison (as it is now) or somebody else (the club may not be able to afford it though).

Giant Anteater
    Participant
    • Posts 325

I think Beadle is definitely the right man. I wouldn’t even debate it.
    I also think his work with the yoof will not have gone unnoticed, and I can see him getting interesting offers from bigger clubs. Not as manager, but in youth development/reserve set ups.
    In terms of people skills, and football knowledge he has a lot to offer. United also desparately need a fan friendly manager, and he does understand the fans, that is not to say that we will always agree with any manager, because we pay our money to disagree and have opinions.

I'm a football anteater

London Bull
    London Bull
    Participant
    • Posts 662

Beadle connected with the fans in such a short period of time in comparison to Foyle. I was deeply cynical with his appointment and felt he was stuck between a rock and a hard place had he not accepted the job on an interim basis – but we all know what happened. The early results weren’t there but the wins over Alfreton and Aldershot will surely go down in Hereford United folklore as truly classic days.

There’s still this slight niggle that other managers can be approached once a budget for next season is thrashed out… Heart still says Beadle, though.

bigglesbull
    bigglesbull
    Participant
    • Posts 99

Hearts said pitman once though not to put a downer on it, but we’ve been here before.

onwards, upwards, possibly sidewards, update definitely/onwards and upwards.

London Bull
    London Bull
    Participant
    • Posts 662

Pitman had a terrific start but once he started asking for help then surely it was time to make a change? We’d have still been a league club otherwise.

Giant Anteater
    Participant
    • Posts 325

Very true London. Jamie needed to sink or swim by his own efforts. Once we started down the Lenny the Lion and Gary Peters routes it became a total confusion. It would actually have been kinder for the Board to have taken a more – achieve or you are out – attitude to Jamie rather than the chaos he found himself in. I still have a lot of time for Jamie and all he did for the club. He took on the manager’s job for the best of reasons, but would have been better off admitting at the start that he was employed as a physio/coach and that is what he was most suited to do.

I'm a football anteater

London Bull
    London Bull
    Participant
    • Posts 662

I still think he has capabilities of being a coach because some trips like Stockport 0-5 or Oxford 0-2 were brilliant and gave me really happy memories during what has been a dark period for Hereford United. Another year or two at Forest Green as a coach / assistant or under a strong manager at Hereford in the mould of Graham Turner would’ve been really beneficial for him. He was thrown in at the deep end and his inexperience was evident.

Pitman gives me warm memories of a committed and combative midfielder against the odds (his size) and a player who made Hereford his home.

Giant Anteater
    Participant
    • Posts 325

As a player Jamie impressed me. Clearly his career was limited by a couple of very serious injuries. Without them, I could have seen him developing into a very useful right footed midfield player in the Gordon Strachan mould.

I'm a football anteater

nailswortholdbull
    Participant
    • Posts 247

Agree with you, LB. I’ve always had a great deal of sympathy for Jamie. He gave it his very best shot, which turned out not to be good enough, but the moment he started asking for help, it was obvious that even he was aware that he wasn’t fully equipped to handle the job. Unfortunately, football is a job where failure isn’t tolerated, and more often than not, managers don’t get the time they need to develop their squads/tactics, in the way that they need. I would never criticize DK for delaying JP’s sacking, as Jamie was HUFC through & through, and ALWAYS gave it 100% for the Club, and had earned the right to the chances he got. Unfortunately, in retrospect, DK should have acted earlier, but I had my doubts when he did pull the plug.
    I wish Jamie well, and sincerely hope that, by whatever means, he gets another bite at the managerial cherry, even if he has to start at a lower level. He still has much to offer.

London Bull
    London Bull
    Participant
    • Posts 662

It’s hearsay but I always understood DK wanted him out sooner and he was outvoted by the other board members. The 5-4 at Gillingham was an awful night and his shift of the blame on to the referee was ludicrous. We even missed a penalty.

TME admin
    TME admin
    Keymaster
    • Posts 205

Joined Sutton United as Head Coach
    http://www.suttonunited.net/news.php#2568

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.